Status Update!

Take notice!

The Tactical Oatmeal Store is now open! Click the link, browse around and enjoy!

I have updated the layout slightly on this blog and I have incorporated organizational elements to the right sidebar that breaks down my posts by type. This will make it easier to find what you are looking for!

I have many reviews currently in the works but due to a hectic schedule they seem to be popping out sporadically. So sign up by email or like Tactical Oatmeal on facebook (see right sidebar) to be notified when new posts are made regarding the gear reviews that you love!

Also, feel free to comment on my posts with any questions or feedback you may have!

~Oats

All content contained on this webpage, including but not limited to all published blog posts, pictures etc. are the sole property of the blog owner and may not be reposted elsewhere or otherwise disseminated without prior consent

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lightning OTF! Go TEXAS!!

Due to some good laws passed in the Texas senate (whopping 31-0!!) repealing the antiquated ban on switchblades, I am making a pre-emptive post about how you can get a solid OTF for cheap! If you want to take a look at the legislation, check out Texas HB 1862!


As I reside in the great state of Texas, I am excited to see this Bill get a signature from Rick Perry making it legal to carry a switchblade on your person in the same way that a regular folder can currently be carried. However, being such short notice, I do not have $400 to throw down on a nice Microtech or a Benchmade Infidel. I wanted something super solid for the money without making my wife mad at me haha!

Enter the Lightning OTF!






I picked up this OTF over at BladeHQ where they have quite the assortment of colorations both in and not currently in stock. Retail price on this blade is $75 but Blade HQ is running them on sale for only $29.99! I chose the Grey handle black blade combo as I like the way it looks.






The Lightning is a dual action OTF (push the actuator forward to open and back to retract) with great opening power and speed. I really like how the actuator acts as a thumb ramp with great jimping! There is no safety on this knife which may come as a surprise to some, but worry not as there is some force required to actuate the opening of this blade. It is not too much that opening the Lightning is a chore, but you have to actually intend to open it for it to open. With that being said, I feel that there is a very miniscule chance of this sucker opening up in your pocket.






The black blade finish looks great but I feel that the coating used is sub-par and will wear off quickly. Not a big deal as I like the look of a worn blade... and I only spent $30 on the knife... I am not expecting it to be perfect, and neither should you. There is blade play once open but that is to be expected as blade play is inherent in the design of switchblades; if it was rock-solid the knife would not open.

This knife is offered with a plain edge which is hollow ground and the partially serrated blade which is chisel ground. Blade HQ was all out of plain edges at the time I ordered this so I went with a Partial serrated model. Speaking of the blade, mine came with a slight occlusion in the upswept portion near the tip;







Nothing that cannot be fixed and again, I was not expecting this to be perfect. Overall I am pleased with this knife and since I got it in the mail I have been playing with it constantly... this thing is serious fun for the money!!!


Short sweet and to the point! I might add to this later on after I put it through some use but I just wanted to get something out there for you to see. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hsraing with us great blog about knives. I really like to share this blog with my friends.
    otf knife

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you like it! Ill try to be better at updating more frequently!!

    ReplyDelete